Surviving the Blizzard of 2013



So, the Blizzard of 2013 (aka Nemo) started off gently enough...


But didn't stay that way. Lots of wind and snow, resulting in the expected power outage. We always lose power here on Cape Cod.

After the dust, err, snow had settled, we have over a foot, with up to 3 foot drifts against the house. The temps dropped to the teens outside and by the end of 48 hours, the low forties inside.  We have a very small wood burning stove, which was a life saver. I spent part of yesterday shoveling out my car and the driveway and getting in to warm up, not to mention power my telephone. This above from inside my car. Note - always, always have a clear exhaust pipe and open windows when sitting in a parked car with the engine running!

When not tending the fire in the wood burning stove, I kept warm under this vintage hand-tied quilt that I've owed for several years. Usually, it decorates a guest bed but this weekend it was put to the test and passed with flying colors!


Sunday dawned a beautiful sunny day and I was finally able to get out of my driveway by mid-afternoon. This is the grocery store parking lot. We finally got our electricity back around 8:30 last evening, just in time watch Downton Abbey!

Today was the big clean up. This little Franklin stove saved us, it really did. We cooked hot dogs in the open flames and wrapped food up in tin foil to heat in the embers. There are quite a lot of uses for wood ash including as a glass and silver polish when mixed into a paste with water and as a traction agent on ice, which I intend to try. More ideas here:

If you were affected by the blizzard, I hope you're safe and warm today.


Meanwhile, I'll be live tweeting this evening's episode of Antiques Roadshow along with bloggers Katy Elliot, Stacy Kunstel, Mally Skok, Cynthia Bogart and others. Airing tonight is part 3 of the Roadshow's trip to Boston. The show airs at 8:00 pm tonight (check local listings) and we'll be tweeting using the hashtag #AntiquesRoadshow or click here.

If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks! Subscribe to ::Surroundings::