Painted Black Floors: Shiny, Semi-Gloss or Matte



via cococozy - designer/photographer not referenced

One of the biggest decisions in any house project is the selection of the flooring. As I tend to like consistency, my preference is always to use the same flooring throughout the house, with complementary selections in the bathrooms, entry halls and kitchens. For my dream home, I very quickly decided on black stained or painted wood floors throughout. I love the crisp timelessness of them. After that primary decision, the next one is this: should they be glossy, matte or somewhere in between?


Brooke Shields NYC townhouse, designed by David Flint Wood, photographed by William Waldron

Brooke Shields NYC townhouse, designed by David Flint Wood, photographed by William Waldron












via House & Home. Michael Angus Interiors. Photographer Michael Graydon


via House & Home. Princess Margaret Showhome. Photographer: Michael Grayson





I have decided on a  black and white checkerboard floor in the front hall. It actually kind of lead the decision on the black floors, because I love a checkerboard, particularly ever since I stood in this hall of the Chenonceau castle in France - see below.


I used them in my last condo in both the front hall and lav and the kitchen above. (photo by Michael J. Lee).  Love them. These unwaxed were linoleum school tiles.

I think I am narrowing in on doing the semi-gloss black floors through the house, with a painted white diamond pattern in the front foyer. I was originally thinking marble, but given the New England historical style I am working in, the painted floor just feels a bit more "right".

If you would like my help on your dream house project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks! Subscribe to ::Surroundings::